Monday 28 February 2011

Sound-A-Day 28.02.2011

Here we are then, last sound of February. 2 months in an I think Ive been doing alright. Been a little bit slack the last week or so, but the thoughts of moving house and starting a new job have been keeping me very preoccupied.

Ah well, here's today's sound. This one is an attempt at making some nice sci fi space ship effects. I'm pretty into Star Trek, not a Trekkie as such, but I enjoy watching it when it's on. One of the things I really like is the cloaking devices for making these hug ships invisible, really great idea, and an unusual thing to approach from a sound design perspective, so I thought I'd have a go.

The tricky thing I think is trying to maintain a sense of scale, after all these ships are supposed to be big enough to carry hundreds or thousands of people, yet the idea of invisibility or translucency suggests delicacy. A weird combo to imagine.

CLOAKING DEVICE by Noisy Neighbour Sound

Here's my effort, aside from a little bit of post editing in Soundforge, it's all just a Massive patch I made. I think it's not a bad effort. I'm finding it really helpful to try and imagine the thing I'm making a sound for, being more contextual rather than conceptual if that makes sense. It's definitely harder, but more satisfying when the result comes out ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment